To request an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services, begin by completing our Appointment Request Form or by calling 209.946.2315 extension 2 and speaking with our Front Office Administrator. Only the person requesting services may make the appointment.
Crisis or Emergency Therapy
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency or crisis call 209.946.2315 x3 to speak with a therapist immediately. If you are in danger of harming yourself or someone else, call 911.
A brief informal meeting to gain perspective or explore a specific topic with a therapist. This meeting is designed for students who want to talk to a therapist casually.
- This meeting would not be appropriate if you are looking for help with a mental health crisis or for a therapy session.
- Choose this option if you currently reside outside of the state of California and need support finding resources in your current location.
Solution Session Therapy
This is a one-time therapy appointment for immediate emotional support focusing on specific problem-solving or decision-making needs.
Psychoeducational Workshop Series (Brief)
- Wise Minds: This is a 4-session psychoeducational group based on Dialectical Behavioral Therapy that will teach crisis survival skills, help you identify and label your emotions, teach the skills to focus your mind, help you accept the current moment, learn how to identify and label emotions, and learn helpful strategies for asking what one needs, saying no, and coping with conflict in relationships.
- RIO: RIO is a brief 3-session workshop series that uses Acceptance and Commitment techniques to help you Recognize the unwanted internal experiences that are effecting you, bring Insight to what those experiences are trying to tell you, and develop Openness to either change the external aspects that are contributing to your distress or acceptance to changing how the internal aspects effect you on a daily basis. For more information see our RIO page.
- We are in the process of implementing two additional workshops: one on anxiety and one on depression. This page will be updated when these workshops are available.
This is a weekly mindfulness meditation group run by a CAPS psychologist.
Process and Support Groups
The power of group therapy lies in the unique opportunity to receive multiple perspectives, support, encouragement, and feedback from other individuals in a safe environment. Our process groups focus on helping you better understand yourself and others. Our support groups are tailored to specific populations and topics.
Short-Term Individual Therapy
Short-term therapy is useful for clarifying concerns, gaining insight into yourself and others, and learn ways to most effectively cope or resolve problems. It is helpful to think about what you would like to discuss during a therapy session, and to spend time between sessions reflecting on your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
Couples therapy is offered to students on a short-term basis to help address a variety of issues, including communications skills, conflict resolution / problem solving, and other issues that may arise within a relationship. One of the individuals in the couple must be currently enrolled at Pacific to be considered eligible for couples counseling (a small per-session fee is charged if both members of the couple are not registered Pacific students).
Our psychiatrist is available during limited hours each week for medication management.
All sessions are currently being offered via telemental health. For more information about our telemental health services, see the section below.
Use OneDrive (log in using your Pacific email address and password) to email an image or scan of your Pacific ID card and your insurance card (front and back) to CAPS@pacific.edu. OneDrive is more secure than a regular email as you can restrict access to your attached documents.
- Instructions for using OneDrive to send documents (psd)
- We do not bill your health insurance for this appointment; however, we keep a copy on file in the event of a mental health emergency that necessitates your receiving services in the community.
Check your email for an email from TAO Connect (email@example.com) to register your TAO account. This is the service that we use to connect for our telemental health video appointments.
- If you have not received this email by the day of your appointment, check your junk mail or spam filter, and then call 209.946.2315 x2 for assistance.
Complete the Informed Consent Packet online. If you would like a copy of these forms for your records, please contact our front desk:
- Informed Consent for Treatment (CAPS)
- Telemental Health Informed Consent
- No-Show and Late Cancellation Policy and Fee Schedule
- Supervision Notice and Consent to Record
On the day of the appointment, you will need to complete First Session Forms for your therapist. The link to complete these forms will be texted to you on the day of your appointment.
- If you have not received the link by 9 a.m. on the day of your appointment, please call 209.946.2315 extension 2.
- These forms must be completed the first time that you are seen each year. For the purposes of these forms, our year starts on Aug. 1.
- To cancel your appointment, please call 209.946.2315, extension 2.
- At least 24 hours notice is required to avoid being charged a no-show fee. The no-show fee is $35 for appointments with a psychotherapist and $50 for appointments with the psychiatrist.
We are physically located in the Wellness Center on each campus. However until further notice, we do not provide in-person services and all appointments are conducted via telemental health using secure videoconference software.
Our physical locations
- Stockton Campus — Cowell Wellness Center, 1041 Brookside Road, Stockton CA 95211
- Sacramento Campus — Halbert Hall, 3257 Fifth Ave., Sacramento, CA 95817
- San Francicsco Campus — Wellness Center, 155 5th St., Room 513, San Francisco CA 94103
Our on-call crisis therapist is available 24/7 by calling 209.946.2315, extension 3.
- Students who have paid the Wellness Fee are eligible for our services. This fee covers all services offered by CAPS.
- If you are not registered in the current academic term, or if you would like to receive Couples Therapy with a non-student partner, there is a per meeting fee. Call 209-946-2315, extension 2 for more information about eligibility and fees.
Telemental Health Services
Pacific CAPS is now offering distance counseling via telephone or face-to-face videoconferencing to currently enrolled Pacific students who meet the eligibility criteria for distance counseling services. This service is available to clients assessed as being appropriate for this form of counseling.
Telemental health refers to the general term of delivery of psychotherapy through remote technologies. For Pacific, Telemental Health refers to using the telephone and/or interactive videoconferencing technologies for conducting sessions with current clients who are not able to attend in-person due to the campus closures related to COVID-19. CAPS will be back on campus in January 2021; until that time, we will continue to utilize Telemental Health Services.
At this time, Pacific CAPS is not offering telemental health services to students who are out of the state of California. However, all students have access to our crisis telephone therapist at 209.946.2315, extension 3.
- If you have not been seen at CAPS before, or if you have not been seen at CAPS in the last six months, please call 209.946.2315 x2 to begin the process of scheduling an appointment.
- Please check out this document for important information about telemental health services including things to consider and limitations: Client Guide to Secure Videoconferencing (pdf)
- On the day of the appointment, you will need to complete forms for your therapist. The link to complete these forms will be texted to you the day before your appointment; please do not fill them out until the day of your appointment.
- If you have not received the link by 9:00am on the day of your appointment, please call 209.946.2315 extension 2.
- Forms must be completed on the DAY OF your appointment. Anything filled out prior to the day of your appointment will not be viewed and will be deleted. You will be required to complete them again on the day of your appointment.
- CAPS Therapists will be using the TAO platform to conduct secure videoconferencing sessions.
- Clinicians will sign up their identified clients for TAO in order to conduct these sessions.
- More information about TAO and secure videoconferencing can be found here: Client Guide to Secure Videoconferencing (pdf)
- For CAPS Psychiatry appointments, please verify that your email is correct and that you have given CAPS permission to email by calling 209.946.2315 x2 during business hours. Dr. Fernandez will email a link for your videoconference appointment directly to the email on file on the day of your appointment.
- If you have any questions, please contact us at 209.946.2315 x2.