Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid

Federal regulations require the University to establish and apply reasonable standards of satisfactory progress for the receipt of financial assistance. Each institution must design criteria outlining the definition of student progress towards a degree and the consequences for the student if progress is not achieved.

Students at University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry who wish to be considered for financial aid must maintain satisfactory academic progress in their selected course of study as outlined in this policy. The following policy is based on the dental school's academic standards and applies to all students enrolled.

Academic standing

You must be in good academic standing with the university to qualify for financial aid. If you should be placed on academic probation, you may still be eligible to receive financial aid. Still, you will lose your aid eligibility if you are academically disqualified or subject to disqualification. Students may petition for academic reinstatement; however, financial aid is not automatically reinstated when an academically disqualified student is readmitted to the university. To appeal for aid reinstatement, you must submit a separate appeal to the Office of Financial Aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

In addition to meeting university standards, financial aid and scholarship recipients must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward graduation; see the detailed information about Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements on the following page. Students who fail to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress lose their financial aid eligibility, even if they have not been academically disqualified by the University.

Limits on renewal

Federal and state regulations and University policies limit the renewal of financial aid and scholarship awards. For example, most grant and scholarship eligibility ends after earning a bachelor’s degree. These limits precede financial eligibility, academic standing, and satisfactory progress.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

By regulation, the Office of Financial Aid must ensure that students who receive financial aid are making satisfactory academic progress toward completing a degree. Except as noted, the satisfactory progress standards outlined here apply to all financial aid recipients, including graduate students and teaching credential students, whether or not the student received aid in any prior academic year.

Pace (units completion)

To demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in your degree program, undergraduate and graduate students must complete at least 67% of their cumulative attempted units with a passing grade.

Attempted units, by definition, are the cumulative numbers of units on record in the Registrar’s Office at the end of the add period for summer, fall, winter, and spring terms. Repeated courses will qualify as hours attempted. The units for courses that a student drops, withdraws, receives an incomplete, or fails after the last day to enroll in a class will be included in the number of attempted units.

Units for repeated courses included in your financial aid course load count as attempted units. Courses with W, I, or NC grades count as units attempted but not completed. Transfer units count as units attempted and completed.


Federal law also specifies that, beginning at the end of each academic year, undergraduate students must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 or academic standing consistent with the requirements for graduation.

For graduate and professional students, the institutional policy states that graduate and professional students must have a grade point average of at least 2.0 or academic standing consistent with the requirements for graduation.

Maximum time frame

Schools participating in federal financial aid programs must define the maximum period required to obtain a degree. A student who does not complete his/her degree program within this time frame is not eligible to receive further financial aid for work toward that degree.

At Pacific, eligible undergraduates and professional dental students may receive aid until the student’s total cumulative units attempted equal 150% of the units required for his/her degree.

Units accepted for transfer are included in the number of units attempted.

Graduate students may remain eligible for financial aid until the total cumulative units attempted equal to 200% of the student’s program length. Units accepted for transfer count as units attempted.

Annual review

The Office of Financial Aid will evaluate your academic progress every year at the end of the spring term.

If, at that time, you do not meet the satisfactory progress standards described above, you will be placed on financial aid disqualification and will immediately lose eligibility to receive financial aid. According to regulations effective July 1, 2011, there is no warning period.

Appeal process

If you are disqualified from financial, you may submit an appeal with supporting documentation and the academic plan outlined in your letter from academic affairs or your contract to be reinstated. Your appeal must explain why you could not make satisfactory progress and what actions you will take or changes already made to achieve and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Financial aid probation

If your appeal is approved, aid will be reinstated on a probationary basis for one term, and your status will be evaluated again at the end of that term. If, during the term on probation, you meet all requirements specified in the academic plan developed for you at the time probation is granted, you can continue receiving financial aid; if not, you will again be disqualified.

Refund Policy

See this link for detailed information regarding the school's refund policy.

Withdrawal Policy and Return of Title IV

If a student is dismissed or leaves Pacific Dugoni, a formal withdrawal must be processed with the Registrar’s Office. The student must also contact the Office of Financial Aid to arrange for an exit interview. Failure to complete the withdrawal process will result in continued liability for tuition and other charges.

Return of Title IV Funds is a federally mandated policy that applies only to students who receive federal financial aid and who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a Leave of Absence before completing 60% of a quarter. The Return of Title IV Funds policy does not apply to students who reduce their units and remain enrolled. Return of Title IV Funds will be used to determine how much aid, if any, must be returned to Title IV loan programs. The Title IV funds considered in the policy are the Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan, the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. The policy does not apply to the HPSL program.

The Return of Title IV funds calculation identifies two types of federal aid, earned and unearned. The earned aid is based on a percentage calculated by dividing the number of days the student completed by the number of days in the payment period. A student who remains enrolled beyond the 60% point earns all disbursed (received) and disbursable aid. Disbursable aid includes aid received and the aid that could have been (but was not) disbursed as of the withdrawal date. If earned aid exceeds disbursed aid, a post-withdrawal disbursement may be made. Pacific Dugoni will first credit post-withdrawal disbursement not credited to school charges. Within 30 days of the determination that the student withdrew, the student will be provided with a written notification of any post-withdrawal funds that are available to the student. No post-withdrawal disbursement will be made if the student does not respond within 14 days of the notification date.

Unearned aid is any disbursed aid that exceeds the amount of Title IV aid the student earned. The unearned aid amount is to be returned to the lender, a responsibility shared by Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry and the student. This may create a balance owed on your Student Account. The student is responsible for paying the amount owing on their account.

Pacific Dugoni must return its share of unearned funds no later than 45 days after it determines that the student withdrew. Students must repay their share according to the terms and conditions stated in their promissory note(s). Funds returned to lenders by Pacific Dugoni will be distributed first to the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan then to the Federal Subsidized Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, and finally to the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan.

This policy is based on 34 CFR, Section 668.22 of Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1964, as amended. The formula is prescribed in Section 484(b).

Institutional scholarships will be prorated based on the percentage of tuition charged

Rights & Responsibilities

You have the right to:

  • Privacy — All financial aid records and data submitted with your application for financial aid will be treated as confidential information and is subject to disclosure requirements under the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA).
  • A complete explanation of the financial aid award process — If you do not understand how your financial aid award was determined or do not believe your application was fairly evaluated, please contact our Financial Aid Office.
  • Appeal — The Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry has established an administrative appeal process through the Financial Aid Committee. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at 415.749.3341.

You are responsible for:

  • Reporting changes in your financial status — Should you receive additional funds or financial support from any source, you must report this to the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office is required by law to consider all sources of aid when determining your eligibility for federal student aid funds.
  • Changes in your student status — If you change your address, drop below half-time status or withdraw from school, you must report this to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. We recommend you contact us before considering such action so that we can properly advise you on what effect, if any, such action may have on your financial aid.
  • Using financial aid funds only for educational purposes — Educational expenses include tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies and other living expenses.
  • Promptly responding to requests and inquiries from the Financial Aid Office.
  • Keeping copies of all documents and records you submit to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Repaying your loans — Acceptance of any loan carries a serious legal and financial obligation. Failure to meet this obligation may adversely affect your credit rating and could prevent other students at the dental school from borrowing to finance their education needs.