You may have all or part of your Federal Perkins Loan cancelled for full-time services in one of the following professions:
a) in a federally designated low-income school or educational services agency;
b) special education teacher of disabled children;
c) in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, or bilingual education, or in any other field of expertise that is determined by the state education agency to have a shortage of qualified teachers in that state.
2. Tribal College or University (faculty members)
3. Head Start/Pre-Kindergarten or Child Care
a) staff member in the educational part of a preschool program carried out under the Head Start Act;
b) staff in a pre-kindergarten or child care program licensed or regulated by the State
4. Early Intervention Services/Child or Family Services
a) provider of early intervention services to infants and toddlers with disabilities in a public or non-profit program;
b) provider of services to high-risk children at a public or non-profit child or family service agency
5. Librarian (with a Master's degree, employed in a low-income school or a public library serving low-income school)
6. Peace Corps/ AmeriCorps VISTA
a) volunteer in the Peace Corps;
b) volunteer in the AmeriCorps* (must be a VISTA program) and have elected not to receive a national service education award.
7. Military Service
a) U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, National Guard or the Reserves in active duty and,
b) serving in areas of hostility or imminent danger
8.Nurse/ Medical Technician/ Firefighter
a) licensed practical nurse, registered nurse, or other individual who is licensed by the appropriate state agency as providing nursing services;
b) medical technician (an allied health professional) certified, registered or licensed by the state providing medical services;
c) firefighter employed by a Federal, State, or local fire department or fire district
9. Law Enforcement/ Correctional Officer/ Public Defense Lawyer/ Prosecuting Attorney
a) law enforcement officer for a Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency;
b) law corrections officer for a Federal, State, or local law corrections agency;
c) lawyer employed by a public/community defender organization;
d) prosecuting attorney for a Federal, State, or local office
10. Speech Language Pathologist (with a Master's degree, working exclusively with Title I-eligible school)
Please submit a Perkins Request for Cancellation and all required supporting documentation to:
Attn: Student Loans
University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA 95211
* For all cancellation requests, the completed form needs to be mailed to the Student Loans Office.
* Supporting documentation varies based upon the type of cancellation. If you have questions, please contact our office at (209) 946-2446.
* It is the borrower's responsibility to ensure the paperwork is received by the Student Loans Department.
* We cannot refund payments made during a period for which you qualified for cancellation but failed to file a cancellation request on time.
Contact Student Loans Department
209.946.2446 (Fax: 209.946.2653)
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm
(Thursday closed 8:30am - 9:30am)
Finance Center - 1st Floor
3601 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA 9521