When is the application deadline?

We accept and review applications on a rolling basis. For students needing an F-1 visa, we encourage you to submit your application no later than June 1 for Fall admission and November 1st for Spring admission. The F-1 student visa process can take two to three months.

Do I have to take the LSAT or a similar test before applying to the LLM Program?

There is no entry or LSAT type exam that must be taken prior to applying to the LLM or JSD programs at McGeorge.

How long should my personal statement be?

Your personal statement/statement of interest should contain all information that you believe is relevant for the admission committee to make a decision. Generally, personal statements in excess of three (3) pages would be considered too lengthy.

Do you have scholarships for LLM and JSD students?

McGeorge has generous scholarship funding available for LLM and JSD students. For more information, visit the scholarship page.

When and how do I get my student visa?

After you have been admitted to McGeorge, we will send you a letter with detailed instructions about how to obtain your visa. Upon receipt of your deposit and the financial and personal information requested in the visa instructions letter, McGeorge will issue you an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. Once you have received your I-20, you can apply for an F-1 student visa at the United States Consulate in your country. For more information, go to our visa page.

Is there an international student community?

Yes, there is a thriving international student community at McGeorge providing students with many opportunities to socialize, gain additional academic support and secure any resources they may need as they adjust to life in the United States. The Graduate & International Programs Office will also assist you in making a smooth transition to life at McGeorge. Learn more at our International Student page.

Do LLM and JSD students have access to the same kinds of extracurricular activities as JD students?

LLM and JSD students are eligible to participate in almost all of the extracurricular activities available to JD students. McGeorge has a lively student community including various student organizations, social and academic events and intramural sports. Additionally, Sacramento maintains a thriving social and political scene full of accessible events for students.

When should I reserve my campus housing?

The on-campus housing is on a first-come, first-served basis. To be eligible to reserve housing, you must have paid your deposit in full. Private apartments or rooms near the Law School are also available for rent, although it is most convenient to live on-campus. For more information, go to our Housing Page.

Can I visit the campus?

Every prospective student is encouraged to visit the beautiful, 13-acre campus. Individual visits can be arranged by contacting us at 916.739.7019 or graduatelaw@pacific.edu.

Will the LLM degree qualify me to take a Bar exam in the U.S.?

Each state has its own rules for eligibility. Students who earned an LL.B. from a common law country, as well as students who are already licensed in their home country may qualify for the California Bar exam or New York Bar exam. In many cases additional studies as part of an LLM program are necessary to become eligible. If you are interested in taking a Bar exam in the United States, please let us know as early as possible. Eligibility review may take up to six months. For more information, please go to The State Bar of California's foreign education page.

If I am not a U.S. citizen, will I be able to work while I study?

The U.S. regulations only allow F-1 visa holder to be employed on-campus until they have completed one year of academic studies. After completing the LLM degree or one year of academic studies, F-1 students are entitled to apply for a pre-completion or post-completion Optional Practical Training which allows them to be employed for a year in the field of law. For more information regarding employment, please contact us at 916.739.7019 or graduatelaw@pacific.edu.

What does LLM mean?

LLM is the abbreviation of the Latin Legum Magister, which means Master of Laws. In Latin, the plural form of a word is abbreviated by repeating the letter.

Does McGeorge have any other graduate programs?

Yes, McGeorge offers a Master of Science in Law (MSL) degree, which is specifically designed for working professionals without prior legal training, as well as a Master of Public Policy and a Master of Public Administration.


Contact Clémence Kucera, Assistant Dean, Graduate and International Programs
Email | 916.739.7353 or 916.739.7019