President Callahan's message to community on jury verdict in Derek Chauvin trial
While today’s verdict is a step forward for justice and accountability, it does not diminish the pain, despair and anger over the great social injustices and systemic racism that continue to face Black Americans and other people of color. University of the Pacific mourns the killing of George Floyd and continues to be appalled by the racial violence that plagues our nation. We grieve with those who have been traumatized or live in fear because of these despicable acts of hatred and discrimination.
We stand in solidarity with our students, faculty, staff, alumni and community to continue the fight against racism and for equality and support peaceful actions that promote positive change. Social justice is core to Pacific’s values and principles, and we must swiftly advance our ongoing work in diversity, equity and inclusion to eradicate prejudice and create a just and humane society.
Our Student Life leaders will offer a community reflection and conversation for all students who would like to come together to share and reflect. Details will be sent from Student Life shortly.
Meantime, we offer these ongoing resources for our community:
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Intercultural Student Success: email@example.com
- Office of the Dean of Students: 209.946.2365 or firstname.lastname@example.org (916.739.7089 or email@example.com for McGeorge; 415.749.3342 for Dugoni)
- Religious and Spiritual Life: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SUCCESS TRiO Program: email@example.com
- Community Involvement Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elizabeth Trayner, Title IX Coordinator, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org; 209.946.7770 or 888.383.2765
- Bias Response Team: website and reporting form
- Employee Assistance: 888.327.9573 or www.guidanceresources.com/
- Human Resources:
Other resources beyond Pacific can be found here:
- Bystander Intervention Training
- Mental Health Association of San Francisco Warm Line
- Each Mind Matters
- Mental Health California
Please stay healthy and well. We look forward to all being together again soon on all three of our campuses.