Skip to content
  • Print

When to Refer a Student

Throughout the year, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) receives many telephone calls from parents, administrators, faculty, staff, student advisors, residence life staff, and friends. Typically the individual who calls has observed some of the signs and symptoms that could be indicative of the need to refer for professional assistance.  If you are concerned about a Pacific student and are uncertain how to refer them to CAPS, or would like to talk to someone about this concern, please call 209.946.2315, ext. 2 and ask to speak with an available CAPS staff member. 

If you are comfortable approaching the student about your concerns please encourage them to call 209.946.2315, ext. 2 or stop by CAPS in the Cowell Wellness Center to make an appointment. It is an easy walk across the footbridge to Cowell Wellness Center (1041 Brookside Road). If they are hesitant to come to CAPS alone, you might offer to accompany them to the initial meeting.

For more information please see Working with the Emotionally Distressed Student.